Advanced Course on IHL
Sanremo, 7-11 May 2018
This one-week long Advanced Course on International Humanitarian Law (IHL) is an intensive course designed for experienced military/civilian legal advisers, military officers and those from Government or International Organisations with an in depth knowledge of IHL/LOAC. Academics and students with an interest in developing a deeper understanding of the subject area are also very welcome to attend. Given the relatively short length of the course it is assumed participants will already have a sound knowledge of IHL/LOAC principles and rules and be able to apply these in a practical context.
Professor Yoram Dinstein an Institute's Council member and a renowned IHL expert has assisted in re-designing the course syllabus in order to focus on specific aspects of the Jus ad Bellum and Jus in Bello rather than seeking to cover the whole spectrum of IHL. As well as an eminent faculty of academic speakers, many sessions also include experienced military operators. Via contemporary case studies these speakers will provide the practical perspective to the consideration of each issue. Maximum time is allocated throughout the course for question and answer sessions in order to maximise the interaction between participants and speakers thereby promoting a rich and varied debate.
Topics will be covered using a plenary based approach complemented with some practical exercises designed to test the participant’s ability to find outcome oriented solutions through the application of the relevant IHL provisions. Maximum participation is encouraged since we believe the sharing of differing national and cultural experiences and approaches will aide in a better understanding of the multi-national challenge and in developing innovative and practical ways to apply both the spirit of and obligations created under IHL.
The registration fee is 1.200 Euro. Registration fees must be remitted before the start of the course by bank transfer or, at the latest, upon arrival in cash or Euro currency cheque. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted either on the website or at the Institute. The registration fee covers:
- Course Materials
- Lunches and coffee breaks on working days
- Welcome Cocktail and final official dinner
- Course Photograph, Diploma and Institute Plaque
- Transport from/to Nice Airport
Transfers to/from Nice airport to Sanremo will be arranged and details of timings for this service will be provided as part of the registration process. The registration fee does not cover all other expenses incurred by the participant such as hotel accommodation, laundry or telephone calls. Participants must ensure that they bring with them sufficient funds to pay for such expenses.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received in excess of 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur no liabilities except for bank charges.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 8 to 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 50% of the fee.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 7 days prior to the start date or after the commencement of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 100% of the fee.