Africa Accountability Colloquium
This high profile event, now in its fourth iteration, is delivered by the International Institute of Humanitarian Law (IIHL) in partnership with the United States AFRICA Command (USAFRICOM). The Colloquium will maintain an African focus on issues relevant to the African militaries. This year the theme of the Colloquium will address the response to gender based violence in peace operations. The Colloquium is aimed at military commanders, Chiefs of Staff, and their staff legal advisors as well as high-level civilian officials involved in such operations.
To lay the foundation for responding to sexual violence allegations, the participants will discuss the following topics: what happens following allegations of sexual violence, legal standards, duty to investigate, what’s a violation, comparative law, and who’s responsible. The objective of this 3 day Colloquium is to heighten understanding of the issues and to identify best practices in the response to gender based violence during peace operations.
The focus over the 3 days will be:
- Day1: Recognizing Gender Based Violence and understanding the obligations to respond during Peace Operations
- Day 2: Responding to Gender Based Violence during Peace Operations
- Day 3: Table Top Exercise and CAPSTONE
The methodology for the Colloquium will comprise a combination of central presentations, panel discussions, and syndicate work. The syndicate work will consist of relevant, imaginative exercises designed to encourage participants to interact and to explore practical ways for military and civilian officials to successfully implement accountability models.
IIHL Teaching Staff and Facilitators are drawn from experienced senior military legal officers, leading academics, practicing lawyers and senior government officials practising in the field together with experts from international organisations. The wide range of national and cultural experiences of the participants attending will ensure a grounded and relevant discussion of the multinational challenges involved in this area of IHL.
The registration fee is €800 Euro. Registration fees must be remitted before the start of the course by bank transfer or, at the latest, upon arrival in cash or Euro currency cheque. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted either on the website or at the Institute. The registration fee covers:
- Workshop material
- Lunches and coffee breaks on working days
- Welcome Cocktail and final official dinner
- Course Photograph, Diploma and Institute Plaque
- Transport from/to Nice Airport
The registration fee does not cover all other expenses incurred by the participant such as hotel accommodation, laundry or telephone calls. Participants must ensure that they bring with them sufficient funds to pay for such expenses.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received in excess of 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur no liabilities except for bank charges.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 8 to 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 50% of the fee.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 7 days prior to the start date or after the commencement of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 100% of the fee.
Click here to register online