Naval Operations and the Law
Sanremo, 16-20 October 2017
The International Institute of Humanitarian Law has a strong association with maritime law having sponsored, promoted the publication of the Sanremo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea. This text is globally recognised as a key reference book for naval practioners and others. Accordingly, we are delighted that Professor Wolff Heintschel von Heinegg one of the foremost experts in Maritime Law and one of the authors of the Sanremo Manual will be participating in this course.
The course will seek to examine and understand the legal regime affecting the planning and conduct of Naval Operations across the entire spectrum of conflict providing participants with an opportunity to assess whether legal and operational gaps in the law exist and, if so, what steps could be taken to remedy the situation. Participants will examine the following areas:
- Law of the Sea principles relevant to naval operations
- International law and the use of force
- Rules of Engagement in the maritime context
- Maritime claims and disputes
- Maritime Law Enforcement
- Anti-Piracy operations
- Drug Enforcement operations
- Terrorism and counter-proliferation issues
- Naval Warfare
- Peace operations in the maritime domain
The course will include briefings on naval operations and lessons-learned by military Officers and legal advisers who have been involved in such operations. There will also be a number of scenario-based exercises which participants will be expected to participate in. Participants will be provided with a copy of both the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea and the Sanremo Rules of Engagement Handbook for use during the course and to retain following course completion.
The registration fee is 900 Euro. Registration fees must be remitted before the start of the course by bank transferor, at the latest, upon arrival in cash or Euro currency cheque. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted either on the website or at the Institute. The registration fee covers:
- Course Material
- Lunches and coffee breaks on working days
- Welcome Cocktail and final official dinner
- Course Photograph, Diploma and Institute Plaque
- Transport from/to Nice Airport
The registration fee does not cover all other expenses incurred by the participant such as hotel accommodation, laundry or telephone calls. Participants must ensure that they bring with them sufficient funds to pay for such expenses.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received in excess of 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur no liabilities except for bank charges.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 8 to 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 50% of the fee.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 7 days prior to the start date or after the commencement of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 100% of the fee.
Click here to register online