Sanremo, 1-5 October 2018
The aim of the Targeting Course is to provide participants with an understanding of the functions of targeting in military operations and its legal constraints.
The Course examines the relationship between legal, political, and operational parameters of the targeting process. Using an end to end approach, targeting issues are placed within the context of staff processes from planning, execution, and assessment by operators. The key overarching teaching objectives of the course are for participants to understand:
- The purpose of targeting and the process of targeting
- The legal framework for targeting in armed conflict
- The relationship between the law of armed conflict and human rights law
- Different categories of targets (deliberate, dynamic, time sensitive targets)
- The relationship between Operational Planning Process, Rules of Engagement (ROE) and the Joint Targeting Cycle
- The role of the legal advisor in the process of targeting
- Interoperability issues when operating in joint and/or multinational operations
- Emerging trends in targeting
- How to respond to targeting incidents and potential LOAC violations
This five day Targeting Course is an intensive course designed for experienced military and civilian legal advisers, military targeteers and planners and those from IGO/NGO with a sound knowledge of either IHL/LOAC or targeting operations. Academics and students with an interest in developing a deeper understanding of the subject area are also very welcome to attend.
The registration fee is 1.000 Euro. Registration fees must be remitted before the start of the course by bank transfer or, at the latest, upon arrival in cash or Euro currency cheque. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted either on the website or at the Institute. The registration fee covers:
- Workshop material
- Lunches and coffee breaks on working days
- Welcome Cocktail and final official dinner
- Course Photograph, Diploma and Institute Plaque
- Transport from/to Nice Airport
The registration fee does not cover all other expenses incurred by the participant such as hotel accommodation, laundry or telephone calls. Participants must ensure that they bring with them sufficient funds to pay for such expenses.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received in excess of 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur no liabilities except for bank charges.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 8 to 14 days prior to the start date of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 50% of the fee.
- Candidate participants whose cancellation request is received within 7 days prior to the start date or after the commencement of the training activity will incur an administration fee equal to 100% of the fee.